Monday, July 30, 2007

The Slump

Ok.

Now I can say I'm in a bit of a slump.

Of course, I know I'm NOT starting to fish at the right time of year.

I'm also trying for a fish using a method that I haven't used in 20 years (and truth be told I wasn't that successful using this method back then. Hmmm, maybe I should switch? well I did switch a bit...).

I went out again this evening to try for Northern Kingfish. This time using bonafide "kingfish" rigs (pompano or high/low style, with #10 hooks), tipped with Fishbite (on one) and Gulp (on the other) artificial "blood" worms.

Result? not a hit. I'll try again in the morning.

No one else (4 other anglers) got anything other than what I did... a bunch of seaweed which was being tossed about in the mild but persistent high tide.

Now one interesting event which leads to the picture of the Red and White Gibbs Bottle Plug (a casting swimmer) was the bunker which were being harrassed by some big fish. Unfortunately they stayed well out of casting range past sunset when they broke up. I thought they would come close... in fact they seemed to be heading right "for" me until they stopped and dispersed at sunset. Perhaps they would have returned but I didn't have a light and I broke off my rig/terminal tackle on a tangle and decided to call it an evening. Maybe they'll be there in the morning?

In preparing for their seemingly imminent arrival, I was casting said Gibbs plug when the bail of my reel snapped shut, casting my loop knot (tied directly to the plug) to give way and sending the plug some 100ft off shore. Oh bummer!

However, thankfully and miraculously (Praise GOD!) I was able to place a cast of another swimming plug just beyond this plug (floating out in the ocean) and within a few feet. A deft dash along the shoreline to align my Suffix Braided running line with the free floating plug and BINGO! I snagged it and got it back!

Did I say "PRAISE THE LORD!"? Do I hear an "AMEN"?

No comments: