Sunday, February 1, 2009

What would you give up?

It is a cold winter so far... though not much snow in these parts. Nevertheless, we haven't had a warm day in January 2009, so what better food after coming in out of the cold than a nice bowl of "soup"

Gen 25: "29 Now Jacob cooked a stew; and Esau came in from the field, and he was weary. 30 And Esau said to Jacob, “Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary.” Therefore his name was called Edom.[d]
31 But Jacob said, “Sell me your birthright as of this day.”
32 And Esau said, “Look, I am about to die; so what is this birthright to me?”
33 Then Jacob said, “Swear to me as of this day.”
So he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob. 34 And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, arose, and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright."

http://cookingthehardway.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/lentilsoup3.jpg

So easily, Esau gave up his birthright.

For what might you trade *your* soul?

1 comment:

Robert Smigielski said...

Matthew 16:25 (New International Version)

25For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.

[Smigielski] It is a tough proposition to give up my life daily for my Lord. Easy to call him Savior, but Lord of my life daily, is a challenge. A challenge Jesus identifies as fundamental as "he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me." Esau was willing to trade away what he did not even own (his life/soul) to get an flesh-y pleasure. That's what the devil steers us toward in a subtle way at times, and outright at times.