Monday, May 18, 2015

And So It Continues

The installation of our new Depthfinger/GPS, that is.








Continued the process yesterday afternoon.

Last time, I had pulled the new transducer cable up from the stern through the center channel
under the main floor. When I got to the console access, the cable hole was too small, requiring
me to knockout a center plug to have enough room for the larger connector, blue. More on this later.

The unit has two connectors on the back, red for power and "data" (can be connected to other nav equipment, if so equipped), blue for the transducer.

Yesterday, I drilled a new hole in the top of the console (25mm == 1") and installed the power connector. However, for some reason (I blame the heat), I zoned out and completely forgot about the blue transducer cable sitting on the floor under the console (previously pulled through the newly widened cable access hole).

After tracing out the source of power, inserting a fuse inline with the red power lead, screwing down our accessory cable on the battery terminal in the stern battery compartment, making sure the unit powered up, GPS worked etc, for SOME reason I completely forgot to hook up the transducer.

Realized this when I got home, 1/2 hr away and with no window to run back and fix this.

Sooooo, I have to go back, unhook the power cable and pull it up through the hole in the top of the console (25mm), feed the blue transducer cable up, push the tag end power cable back down, then reconnnect the power.

THEN I'll BE READY for the ON-THE-WATER test of the newly installed transducer itself (which was installed "thru hull"... meaning that it will work AS LONG as I didn't leave any air bubbles between IT and the HULL in the silicon I used to adhere the transducer to the hull)

This is what happens when you have a darling dear wife at home who is always asking "how long do you really need to work on that boat??"

Guess what, I'm going back when she's tied up with other things... :)

No comments: