Monday, February 15, 2016

Fly tying books - crabs and flatwings

I haven't tied flies, I mean really tied, in years.

Every year I tie up some select patterns and, evidenced here a couple of years ago, that includes some pattern that is "unusual"... at least for me. Crab patterns are intriguing to me, as stripers absolutely gorge on crabs at certain times of the year. Less clear is when and how to fish said crab patterns down in my neck of the woods.  I read about their effectiveness when dead-drifted in an outflow at night.

However, the use of mole crabs at certain times and places must also be effective, just don't have the confidence to float those patterns out in the wash where the little crabs are found dodging the surf line.  One of these years.

Anyhow, I ran into a question on tying flatwings and have started investigating the possibility of tying some up for myself.  One problem is that I don't go to shows, don't have a flyshop nearby, and don't have a vast collection of capes suitable for flatwing patterns. At least not saltwater sizes.

So, I may just tie up some freshwater sized flatwings for experience and just see how it goes.

On the other hand, I was surprised, no, I was shocked, at the currently listed prices of *used* copies of Ken Abrames' book "A Perfect Fish, Illusions in Fly Tying"


There seem to be book sellers that leave "rare" books up at outrageous prices sometimes.

Makes perfect sense, since it is a form of "fishing" after all :)

No comments: