Thursday, October 3, 2019

The End of Summer

The End of Summer, that is to say the end of "Real" summer weather, has finally come to pass.
We had a record breaking 95 degree day yesterday, and most 2 legged creatures ... along with a smattering accompanied by their 4-legged "better halves"... with any free time flocked to New Jersey's barrier islands for one last summer-fling.

Having had my schedule rearranged several times this week, I found myself able to get out to Brigantine for a couple of hours.

As I drove out to the island I noted that it was, quite literally, packed. Especially for a weekday in October!

Since I really want to be "alone" that left the North Natural Area as my best option.


Unlike 2 weeks ago, I found very few mullet in the surf, but using fresh (not live) or frozen, my mullet rigs were getting harassed non-stop by the 1 million snappers in the surf.

I managed to land 2 tailors (kept 1 for dinner), 1 snapper (threw the head out... something whacked it ...likely another blue... but nothing else).

Tried netting those elusive mullet to no avail, and didn't pull out the flyrod as the surf was not conducive (and I didn't feel like wading out and getting 100% drenched/soaked from the huge swells coming in), so settled for bait fishing.


As an aside, here is a picture of the baby "pompano" I netted 2 weeks ago. I call it a "pompano" but would not be surprised if someone ID'd it differently. No matter, as it is a unique species for me.



The Setting Sun, all golden, paints patterns in the sky.

Slowly it fades now as Summer, finally, says Goodbye!

No comments: